First computers, was: team.net history

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: First computers, was: team.net history
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:24:57 -0500
A thread from another list.

Subject: First computers (GMSV)
Last week we asked Good Morning Silicon Valley readers to tell us
what their
first computers were.
The results are fascinating and, IMHO, make for great reading.
Check it:
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/columnists/gmsv/7549559.htm
<<<

What did YOU start on?

Matt Murray

DEC PDP-8L in high school (semi public, definitely not mine)
Teacher got pissed that I was "playing" on it. Booted from the
computer room. Great nurturing on the teacher's part. D!ck.

Recording studio automation (volume only [MCI <1976> {now part of
Sony Electronics} and Neve Audio Consoles <1980> ] ) first saved
on audio tracks, then on a stand-alone 8" floppy (really floppy)

Studio owner's Altair (don't know what model)

'81-'82 Commodore 64 with floppy drive, 300 baud modem, got a
CompuServe connect kit ($34.95!), found quickly that $3.00 per
minute at the very slow rate made bulletin boards and the like
expensive (and boring). And backed away from computers. (my first
computer)

1989 IBM AS400 for Toyota part ordering and inventory (no real
connectivity)

12/95 Work computer sign up for team.net (email only)

1996 Given a 33 meg clock speed laptop (friggin' slow)

1997 Given a desktop (100 or 133 clock speed) 1 gig HD

2000 Dell 866 clock, 256 RDRam (this is written from that
machine)

2002 Vaio 1.8 gig clock speed, 256 ram (work beast)