Re: [evolution-disc.] Please comment on the August Fastrack

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Please comment on the August Fastrack
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:24:26 -0500
> - Changes to 14.8.D, camber plates in SP,
Perhaps I'm just dense.  But what changed here other than sentence
structure?

also allow camber bolts in SP
===============================
Ahh, finally an across the board allowance.  Good.

> - Changes to 14.5.C or 18.1.E, shock absorber mounts in SP and/or SM
================================
Hmm, alternate Tunnell BMW M3 shock mounts are now legal???????

> - Changes to 14.10, motor mounts and torque suppression devices in SP
Uhhh, I think they meant 14.10.I, not 14.10.J would not apply if alternate
engine mounts are used.  Beyond that, I like it.  It's about time.

> - Changes to 17.8.C, camber plates in ST, also allow camber bolts
==================================
Good, good, good.

> Item 8: Changes to 17.2.B, seats in ST
======================================
Uhh, wait a minute.  This now allows full-on "race" seats, carbon fiber,
yadda yadda yadda.  What happened to the "suspended bottom" verbiage?
Though I guess the 15# minimum weight limit kind of disallows Kirkey-style
seats and getting too crazy light seats in ST.  Oh well, I guess if someone
wants to spend $1000 for a seat (Momo Extreme & 1000 Lakes, Cobra Evolution,
Sparco Touring, etc.), and drive around the country in it, it's okay with me
as long as I can have my $250, 15# Corbeau Forza II fixed back seat.  I
still support the change.

> - Additions to 17.10G, engine mounts in ST
==================================
Ahh, finally.  My engine mount budget just got a breather.

> - Removal of 17.1.B, update/backdate allowance in ST
I understand the reason of this is to prevent the "frankenstein", SP-esque,
engine-swapped cars that are showing up in Street Touring.  Specifically,
the only CSP cars that are legal to run in Street Touring, the '88-'91 Honda
Civics.  (If you'll notice, most every other STS/X legal car is a DSP or FSP
listed car.) I fully believe that the majority of Street Touring competitors
also support such a disallowance of engine swaps.  But the Update/Backdate
allowance MUST be allowed to stay in Street Touring for many other reasons.

There is absolutely no reason why a specific disallowance for engines,
transmission, transaxles or rear ends could not be written into the Street
Touring Update Backdate allowance. And until such time as such a rule
disallowing drivetrain swaps in ST can be written, I submit that 17.1.B
should remain as is.

Now, if they'd just rewrite the antiquated Stock Category sway bar rules to
allow FWD cars to change their rear bars we'd _really_ be showing some
progress.  ;^)

Eric Linnhoff
www.geocities.com/eric10mm/KnuckleDragger
"Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."
Mark Twain