Re: Driving from Washington to Pennsylvania

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Driving from Washington to Pennsylvania
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 01:45:02 -0700 (MST)
C) 90 to 82 to 84 into Salt Lake, 15 S to US 6 S, to 70 East

I'd suggest you NOT take this piece of US 6.  It is a somewhat mountainous
two lane road with limited visibilty around curves, heavy truck traffic and
it often seems to have more than the usual percentage of people at the wheel
who don't care about anyone on the planet other than themselves.  It is
one of the deadlier sections of highway in Utah.  There is a nice smooth
stretch of 4 lane highway where they had to reroute the road when some mountain
fell over a few years back, but it is only a small segment.

Taking I70 across Colorado means a fair bit of steep grades up and down as you
cut through the Rockies.  If the weather isn't too bad, no sweat.  The stretch
of I80 across Wyoming has fewer long grades, the worst being the Three Sisters
just east of Evanston and some climbs west of Laramie.  I have yet to prove
this conclusively, but a tow across Wyoming is uphill both ways.  Honest, trust
me.  You cross the continental divide twice, about 100 miles apart.

If it were summertime, I would recommend that you get off I80 and take the
Snowy Range highway into Laramie, much more scenic.  Some nice overlooks for
good views south to Colorado Rockies.   But it is winter here, don't do it.

If you do take I80 across Wyoming, you may want to consider the 287 cutoff to
Denver.  Basically at Laramie you take US 287 south out of town, and you are on
a nice scenic two lane road through more high plains and rolling mountains.
Most Salt Lake road racers take this route during the summer when heading to
the race tracks in Colorado.  You come out on the western edge of The Great
Flat Spot, go through Fort Collins where you jump on I25 to Denver, then east
on I70.

Another option is get to Salt Lake City, take I80 east to just past Park City
and get on US 40 east.  Mostly two lane highway, but it goes through the Uintah
Basin, past Dinosaur National Monument, along the Yampa River valley to
Steamboat Springs.  There you can cut down to I70, or stay on US40 over Rabbit
Ears Pass and through the mountains.  More interesting than the interstates,
but slower.

Hmmm, this is getting kind of long, I better sit down and be quiet now.

mjb.