RE: [evolution-disc.] Re: SP rules

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [evolution-disc.] Re: SP rules
From: "David Walker" <david.walker@lonemustang.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 21:25:32 -0700
> ...I'm also one of those diehards who
> believes that Stock SHOULD be just that - Stock - and not some
> multi-thousand dollar development project.  Toward that end, I believe
> that Stock cars should have to run on street tires!!!

I agree in spirit, but there may be a logical explanation for why the rules
read the way they do (another newbie weighs in).

I've been told that the reason we allow DOT legal "race" tires in stock is
because it's difficult to write a rule that defines the difference between
them and street tires.  Yeah, I know, the difference is actually pretty
obvious performance-wise, but how do you define a rule to limit them?
Aren't they still, by definition, street tires?  Should we exclude tires
with a treadwear rating below X?  Look spongy when worn?  Sticky to the
touch when really hot?

You could exclude certain tire models, but someone will just come up with
another one that *just* meets the general specifications, yet is still
stickier than your average street tire.

Like tires and brake pads, shocks are wear-out items that need to be
replaced from time to time, and it's difficult to define a rule that allows
people to buy replacement shocks without making them buy strictly OEM.  My
guess is that the SEB has been down this road already, and like tires and
brake pads, decided to leave shocks somewhat unrestricted to keep the peace
(and perhaps, as has been suggested, to allow a little adjustability to
compensate for the tires).

With shocks, it is a little easier to define a mechanical difference between
what is "stock" vs. not, but only to a point.  The rules already limit the
number of adjustments, and require nearly-stock dimensions.  The only thing
left is to exclude ALL adjustable shocks.

Beyond that, I think we're just stuck with the fact that someone will always
be able to design a better mousetrap, and a few will be willing & able to
pay for them.

Just my $0.02-worth.

David Walker
Former F Stock driver