Re: Spectators vs autocrossing

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spectators vs autocrossing
From: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 09:00:17 -0800 (PST)
We have had some experience with spectator events out
here in SFR land. We held 4 street autocrosses in the
1986 to 1992 era. 4 in Vallejo, 1 in Livermore. I am
sure Pat Kelly or Charlie Davis can correct any errors
I relate.
The events were a lot of fun for all of us except the
folks who organized them. We burned out those event
chairs very thoroughly.
We got plenty of local spectators. I would guess well
more than the thousand number being bandied about.
The events ran very like autocrosses or qualifying
sessions with no complicated scenarios.
We had locals complaining about blocking their
streets.
We had local tv coverage.
We had to restrict the events to invitational status.
We had threats of law suits from folks not invited to
attend.
We found the crowds were interested only in the big
noise cars. Two of us ran the final straight at
7500rpm+ in V8 cars to standing ovations. Larry Park
did it with great accomplishment in his magnificent BP
Corvette. I did it in the slowest, most incompetent
car in the field. An attempt at an EM car. It made no
difference that the stock class Hondas ran quicker
times, all the crowd noticed was noise and tire smoke.
Is this the target audience? For what purpose?
We made no significant or measureable long term effect
on the club membership, club finances, site
availability, community acceptance or rejection, or
anything else that I have seen as attributes for
holding such public venues.
ProSolo was originally billed as an activity aimed at
the stock classes, I have the flyer around here
somewhere. The tag line was "make your commuter car
pay for itself" or something very close to that.
Nothing has changed in that regard.
It is an activity that works as planned. Do not be too
eager to change it into something entirely different.
Different will only work for others than are well
served now. Just start something new and let those who
enjoy the current game make the changes they want.
Oh yeah, I have never autocrossed stock class [well,
once in Las Vegas and once in Eureka while on
vacations in a Miata...] nor participated in a ProSolo
FWIW.

=====
Dennis Hale