Re: Failed NOx emissions. HELP!!!!

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Failed NOx emissions. HELP!!!!
From: "Dave Hardy" <dave2020@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 07:21:36 -0500
I have heard of DC Headers releasing too much heat and not getting the cat
hot enough.  I think NOx Generally points to the cat, but if you're pretty
sure it's good I'd lean towards heat loss.  What I'd do is put the factory
cast iron exhaust back on there, and put the cat back in the factory
location.  This will help it retain heat.  Also, in the 10 minutes leading
up to the test, drive in a lower gear than you normally would.  The higher
RPM's will help to heat it.  When you get to the test station, don't shut
the car off.  Stay with it, and preferably keep it revved between 2-3K.
Also, run the lowest octane fuel you can.  This will promote a more complete
burn.

I did these things and mine passed, even with higher CR pistons and a cam.
I have to run 93 Octane in mine.

Dave Hardy
89 SM