Re: Speed Creep - Powers to Be Opinion

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speed Creep - Powers to Be Opinion
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:44:36 EDT
Rob,

My personal opinion is that your post as a representative of the SSC was
presented in a totally inappropriate way.  I'm not aware of any stock class
cars reaching or exceeding 70 mph at the Fort Worth Tour, but will conceed
that the Z06's were reaching the upper 60's in two spots.  With the increase
of factory-built lightweight, high-powered vehicles such as the Z06 and
S2000, along the formation of the new Ultra-Stock class, it stands to reason
that higher speeds will be reached on a given stretch of course than was
previously obtainable and speed creep will ensue without some form of clearly
specified limitation.

If you and the rest of the SSC believe that the the Ft Worth Tour course was
inappropriate per the wording of the rulebook, then so were the 2001 Meridian
& San Diego Tours, 2000 Nat's, and countless other divisional and regional
events.  IMO the problem lies in the wording of the rules because I can't
possibly see the 2001 Ft Worth, Meridian, & San Diego Tour courses not
meeting that particular wording.  Unless the SSC addresses the wording issue
how can we possibly expect anything any different?

You are correct that I am not the voice of authority, but I think I'm pretty
damn good at reading the rules and determining the allowable limits
delineated therein.  I do not in any way advocate the membership-majority
ruling what the maximum allowable Solo2 speed should be, as you suggest.
Rather, I believe that the majority of reasonable, rational, and intelligent
SCCA Solo2 members will read into the rules exactly as I have.  In fact, they
already do which is why we've reached this juncture.

However, to blast out a post on Team.net that everyone screwed up isn't close
to being correct.  It happened for a very real reason.  The simple truth is
that until Section's 1.3 and 2.1 of the Solo2 rulebook are rewritten to
remove the vagueness and replace it with concrete limitations this type of
course design situation will continue to occur.  If it's the SSC's intent to
prevent this type of course design then you all better get cracking on a
rewrite asap.

Mark Sipe