Re: "new" scca logo

To: "Team.net Autocross List" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "new" scca logo
From: "Mike Smith" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 04:08:09 -0400
> So you are suggesting that an owner of an '88 Vette, for example, must
> modify his car to Prepared or Mod condition just to be competitive in the
> SCCA? Or how about the owner of a Porsche 911,914, 924, 944?

Didn't a certain '86 Vette place in the top-10? (like it seems to every
year?)

> Are you agreeing with me - these cars CAN play in Stock, but to be
> competitive they must throw big $ at their car to bring it to Prepared or
> Mod class level of preparedness?

No, but some of these cars would not be competitive in HS if all of HS had
street tires. What would you do, create a complete classing scheme just for
classics? As if we don't have enough classes already?

> The SCCA has run all but a few Corvettes (C5 and Z06 specifically) and
just
> about all of the Porsches off from Stock and SP - classic "sports cars,
> IMO - with their structuring. The SCCA seems to be using the logic that
> there are other clubs specifically for these cars, clubs that they can be
> competitive in. These marque clubs are fairly large all across the US, yet
> there are relatively  few of them competing with the SCCA - - at the
> Divisional and National levels in particular.

Porsche was 2nd in SS (never mind all the Mazdas). 6 Porsches in the top-10
in AS, and 3 in ASL. 3 Porsches in  the top-10 in CS, one won CSL.

BS is dominated by what is probably the closest new car we have to a classic
sports car.

ASP is still old Lotus country. Old Vettes and Datun Z cars still dominate
BSP. How many X1/9s are there in DSP? (I counted 14)

Your logic that traditional sports cars are undersubscribed is flawed, at
best.

> Yet the SCCA claims to be looking to increase their membership. They would
> rather establish new classing for go karts or for slammed Honda's, for
> example, than  for early Corvettes or Porsches. And there are others, such
> as the 1st or 2nd generation RX-7, 1st generation MR2, and yes, the Fiero.
> None of these currently have any chance of ever winning a National
> Championship in the Stock or Street Prepared classifications in the SCCA.
> These are what I would call "Sports Cars",
> the type of car your club was named after.

Early Vettes win now, why is there a need to make them more competitive?

Fiero? Puh-leeze. Unless it's an '88, it's a hybrid bastard-child of a
Chevette, and a Citation, with some pretty bodywork in hopes of the buyer
not noticing. Unfortunately, the front drives like a Chevette, and the rear
drives like a Citation, and neither end drives worth a damn. Even if it's an
'88 V-6 car, could it beat an HS Civic Si? I know the 4-cyl version has no
chance in ANY class. A Fiero practically REQUIRES a prepared-class
tube-chassis and some good stripping to make it competitive, irregardless of
it's engine. The one in EM seems to do well.....

Sheesh, if those are your examples, none are really "classic" are they? I
thought you were bemoaning the relative sloth of a stock MG, Triumph, or
something MUCH older when referring to classic sporting cars. (Sorry MG or
Triumph owners, but you gotta admit...)

> For a little while longer, the RX7 TT, Miata's, and the 2nd gen MR2 still
> have favor, but it won't be too long before they are "outclassed" by some
> new car that
> gains favor with the powers-to-be in the SCCA. These newcomers probably
will
> seat 6, and be a top of the line grocery getter, just like most of the
Stock
> class favorites are right now. You know, "sports cars", just like Mr
> Davison's definition!! (Oh, and odds are, they will not have wire wheels,
as
> your club's logo suggests).

Ya know? The only Fiero I've ever seen with wire wheels was this metallic
purple one I saw down in the 'hood that had wire wheel covers on 13" wheels
that stuck out 6 inches past the end of the body. Does that count? It even
had white lettering on the sides of the tires, just like in the logo.....

Also, did you know that Fieros never came with Quad4 engines? Of course you
did... Did you also know that putting one in would put it in Prepared (GT
rules) by default? I hope you weren't expecting THAT to be legal in Stock,
or SP.....

Mike