Re: Nissan V/6

To: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nissan V/6
From: <nottingham@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:51:28 -0400
> Once again I call on the combined wisdom of Team.Net
>
> A friend brought his 1994 Nissan Maxima V/6, with 120,000 miles to my
> garage. #2 cylinder not firing and it had a slight knock that sounded like
> it was coming from the distributor.

Easy, buy a reconditioned head.  Same thing happening on the my GRM $2001
Challenger, except it was the #5 cylinder.  A rebuild of the head will not
cure it.  Been there done that, have the t-shirts and scars to prove it.
You could buy all new valves, guides, rockers, springs, retainers, and a
cam, then have it rebuilt, but to no avail.  Chances are your exhaust valve
is chipped, if you take the head off, let me know.  The 300zxt is not fun to
rebuild, I can only imagine the Maxima.  Oh... it's a 94... is it the DOHC
engine or SOHC?

The ZX sounded like a knock on the cam covers at idle, then smoothed out
when revved a little.

Man, I don't envy you at all.... :-(

Ron N. - Dalton, GA
90 SHO (daily driver)