re: Nissan V/6

To: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Subject: re: Nissan V/6
From: Chris Eckles <MRoadster@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:27:26 -0400
One thing you found caught my eye - the change in the cylinder pressure.

I bought my other car (a 1960 Metropolitan convertible), and found that one
cylinder had low compression.  Assuming that the piston rings were frozen
(car had sat for a decade or two), I used the old trick of pouring a couple
of tablespoons of Marvel Mystery oil into the cylinder, and let it sit
overnight.  Don't use too much or you'll get fluid lock, and ruin the
engine.  I measured how much was in (measured the level), and made sure
that I just barely covered the piston.

Compression from then on was great.  But, I was losing a quart of oil every
50 miles.  No more oil under the car than is normal for a British built
car.

Finally ended up taking the head off.  That cylinder had a hole in the side
of the piston.  As the piston goes up and down, the piston rings rotate.
When the rings aligned with the hole, I would lose a ton of oil.

So, you problem may be more serious than you think!  Does your mechanic
have a fiber optic viewer?  Well, doesn't everyone?  But then that wouldn't
explain the not firing, would it.  No power from that cylinder if the hole
was big enough, but.

Chris Eckles
White M Roadster

Once again I call on the combined wisdom of Team.Net

A friend brought his 1994 Nissan Maxima V/6, with 120,000 miles to my
garage. #2 cylinder not firing and it had a slight knock that sounded like
it was coming from the distributor.

Everything in the distributor was OK. The Cap, rotor and  plug wires are
less than 50,000 miles old. There was no play in the rotor shaft.

I ran a compression check and #2 was very high in comparison to the others.

We put a new plug in #2 and fired it up. The engine now sounded like
someone
was wacking around inside the head with a ball peen hammer. As you brought
up the revs the sound fluttered and went away.

A pro mechanic friend took off the valve covers and checked for bad
lifters,
broken springs, bent valves etc. He found nothing. He also did a
compression
check and his readings showed #2 very low in comparison to the other
cylinders.

Before we take the heads off, we are going to try one of those top end
engine cleaner kits that go in place of the fuel line, in the hope that it
is carbon in the cylinders. Still, this is weird. Has anyone on Team.Net
experienced anything like this with this engine?  Inquiring minds want to
know.

Thanks in advance guys.

Larry Steckel
<