Re: Ford sure picked some winners....

To: "B. Vibert" <blur@ican.net>
Subject: Re: Ford sure picked some winners....
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:42:14 -0500
As a Radio News Director, I've HAD to follow this story much more
closely than I would have done as just an ordinary citizen.  Here are
some of the things I've learned over the past few weeks:

1)  26 PSI is just too low of a tire pressure for ANY tire on that
size and weight of vehicle.  The general consensus is 32-33 PSI.  If
the Goodyears (or any other tire) survived at 26 PSI, good on them!  I
won't run anything less than 33 PSI on my Chebby S-10 (205-75x15) and
it's a heck of a lot lighter than any SUV.

2)  The Ford Explorer has a gas tank weight balance that puts most of
the weight on the left rear (the tire that usually blows!)

3)  The rear passenger doors are on the right side of the vehicle.
That means that cargo is usually loaded in first, toward the left
side, and rear seat passengers are loaded in last.  This puts even
more weight on the left rear corner.

4)  Take all of these previous conditions and add in the 100+ degree
heat that many of these tires have had to endure this summer and
you're just asking for trouble.

We radio news guys aren't supposed to take sides in an issue like
this.  We're just supposed to present the facts and let the public
decide.  And that's exactly what I've tried to do on the air.  But, on
this forum, I would tell you that, IMNSHO, both Ford and Firestone
share an equal amount of blame for this debacle.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman