Re: Was M3 - - now ESP participation

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Was M3 - - now ESP participation
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:44:01 -0500

Jeff Winchell wrote:

> As it happened, the top non-M3 in the ProSolo points was a DSM. OTOH, in
> this year's Nationals, the top non-M3 was a ponycar. The next fastest non-M3
> was a DSM. In the 7 National Tours, ponycars won 5 and DSM's won 2. In 7
> ProSolos the same split was there.
>
> I haven't seen any complaints about this kind of result.

If there is no complaint about the DSM's mixing it up in the top positions,
I fail to see the gripe with the M3.  The M3 is not dominating, Bob Tunnell
is dominating.  The other M3's in competition aren't filling all of the
trophy positions under him.

> LW>Is 1.1 seconds overall really a large margin?
>
> Only due to a great performance by Mark, was it this "small". Mark had the
> second highest PAXed score.

Yes, it was that small.  About half a second on each course.

> There's a difference between winning occasionally by a bit, and dominating
> an entire class.

Many Neons dominate DS.  Many Miatas dominate BS.  One M3 is not dominating
ESP.

> And unfortunately they don't have enough classes to make your request
> possible, and having that many classes would cause other problems. At least
> the structure serves more people than it doesn't.

Overall, our classing structure works quite well.  But when the politics of
what's more popular and what sells more overshadows raw performance
potential, I think it's wrong.

> Why? They didn't do that to the 240Z?

That's pretty amazing in itself.  The only difference I see between that
situation and this one is that the 240Z's were developed IN BSP rather than
being partially developed in another class and moved to BSP.  ESP never got
to see Bob's M3 before it was fully dialed in.  If it had been in ESP all
along, the end result would have been the same, but the ESP drivers would
have had the opportunity to see the M3 NOT win for a few years before now.

> BTW, do you drive a DSM?

Don't read sig lines, do you?  I drove a friend's AWD Talon TSi once.  It
felt too "big" for my tastes.

--
Loren Williams | Loren@kscable.com
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca