Re: New Miata

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New Miata
From: William Loring <bloring@tirerack.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 15:34:26 -0600
> From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
>
> Pah.  Our current two daily drivers are a Miata and a '94 Jetta GLX
> (the tow vehicle).  The Jetta will be replaced this winter, probably
> with an Audi S4 Avant (the new tow vehicle).

Well Mark, this is where the difference lies. There are those of us who can
afford to own a Miata AND an S4 Avant AND a mod car (and all the stuff that
goes with it), and there are those of us to whom this is only a distant
fantasy. Not everyone has the same economic opportunities that you have.
This is not a good or a bad thing, it is simply reality.

> We're having plenty of fun on the street, thanks -- and probably even
> more fun on Sundays than people running in Stock.

The above comment is more than a bit condescending, but I won't address that
part of it, as I'm sure it wasn't intended.

I've raced both mod (co-drove an FM car last year, thanks Ricardo!), and
stock (ES/HS 1990 Honda Civic Si). Both cars are lots of fun to drive...
while driving the Vee, I found myself missing the Honda. This year I'm back
in the Honda, and I miss the Vee. Go figure.

Anyway, I'd love to be racing a Vee, or a CM car, but economic reality (and
lack of garage space) says that I can't do it right now. I'm still having
plenty of fun in the Honda, I really can't say that it's more or less fun
than the Vee.

Unless it's raining.

Regards,

William Loring