Re: brake pad recommendation?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake pad recommendation?
From: Karl Shultz <karl.shultz@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:27:51 -0500
I originally sent this as a private to Phil, but perhaps others can use
this info too.

Of the stuff I've used, Carbotech Panthers are about as close as I've
seen to dual purpose.
They were fairly rotor friendly.  When cold, the first stop is about
like OE pads, but with just a little heat in them they're astounding,
you'll be picking your teeth out of the steering wheel rim.  The problem
I had with them was dust, and durability.  I've never seen such brake
dust.  And in a weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park for a track event,
I ruined them - right down to the backing plates.  They were bedded in
properly and had *maybe* 200 street miles on them.

IMO, there's no such thing as a perfect pad for everything.  Pads that
last, and don't fade, on the track are worthless when cold (and will
destroy your rotors in the process).  Pads with a lower temperature
range can fade badly on track, possibly even breaking apart.This said,
changing pads really doesn't take all that long, maybe 30 minutes.

You may have different luck as your car (MR2) is lighter than my GS-R.
friend w/ a Miata R seems to have good luck with the Carbotech HPS
street
compound pads on both track and autox.  Miatas are also blessed with
light weight, large brakes for the size of the car, and cooling ducts
built into the splash shields.

If anyone wants more info WRT brakes I've tried, private me.

--
Karl Shultz           karl.shultz@ibm.net
  Tarheel Sports Car Club - www.thscc.com