Re: brake pad recommendation?

To: "Phil Esra" <pesra@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: brake pad recommendation?
From: "Robert Glover" <rob@f-body.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:39:30 -0800
From: "Phil Esra" <pesra@yahoo.com>

> If I had it my way, I'd use OEM pads for autox. But I want to do track
> events without swapping pads--I took my MR2 to a track event, and one
> of the front OEM pads shows a couple of cracks. Not good. I'm looking
> for advice on a pad that is excellent at cold temperatures but won't
> self-destruct at high temperatures. Any advice? Rotor-friendly and
> quiet would be nice too :)

See if you can get Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads for your MR2.
I have a set on my truck ('96 Dodge RAM 3500), and I'm always amazed at how
well the pads work when cold, not to mention after they're hot too.  Plus
they only cost me $37 for the set, AND they're a lifetime pad (I just
replced my first set, after six months -- yes, I drive the truck like my
Corvette).

Speaking of the Corvette, I started using Raybestos pads on it because the
PFCM pads were special-order for it.  After being used to the Carbotech
Panther pads I had before (which are INCREDIBLE pads, but suck goats for
autox and eat rotors for lunch), I'm gonna try to order a set for it,
because the Raybestos pads don't stand up to temperatures well, either.

You may also want to consider ducting your front brakes if you do many track
sessions.  That in itself will help a LOT.

Rob