Re: Miata clutch life in autox?

To: rasmussend@mindspring.com, cblome@yahoo.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Miata clutch life in autox?
From: "Joe Goeke" <joe_goeke@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:32:29 PST
True the Pro Solo launch is a little hard on the clutch, but just on the
clutch material.  To get the best launch you don't slip it either.  My
experience is the clutches wear out about the same reguardless of the
auto-x content.  Also, this latest spring problem is not noticable with
everyday driving.  The main reason I have not replaced mine yet, is that
I don't race it much anymore.
---JCG

cblome@yahoo.com,autox@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: Miata clutch life in autox?
>Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:14:00 -0500
>
>At 09:50 PM 3/14/99 PST, Joe Goeke wrote:
>>Ah yes, the wonderful Miata clutch ;-).  First (90-93) it was the ever
>>so easyly fried clutch that went out around 30k, now with the 94+
>>models, it's not the clutch material it self, but the engaging
springs!
>>My 94 started experiencing such slip at the start in 97.  Peter
Raymond
>>had the same problem, and he told me to blead the clutcy, and dam if
it
>>didn't work!... for a while.  Say 6 races or so, and it started again,
>>so I blead the clutch again and it was good for a Pro solo with two
>>drivers.  Basically you're stuck with replacing the clutch to fix the
>>problem, and it will reapear in about 35-45k again.  To bad clutches
>>don't fall under the "normal replaceable items" like shocks and other
>>stock swapable items, for Mazda offers the same clutch with the beefy
>>springs, but it's not the orginal OEM part :-(.
>>---JCG
>
>Joe,
>
>How long do they last when they are not driven like Top Fuel and Funny
Car