Re: Image Awareness

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Image Awareness
From: Tom Maycock <tmaycock@interaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 13:16:57 -0600 (CST)
On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Rick Brown wrote:

> >So why do women have an entirely seperate league?  I don't understand the
> >logic behind this.  Why the need to spererated the sexes??
>
> Umm,  which planet do all you guys live on? (oh yea, Mars :-))
>
> While there may be equal opportunity in autox for women, to think there is
> even a remote amount in professional mainstream motorsports is ridiculous.

Exactly! As I understand it, the goal here isn't to provide a place for
women to race without "having" to compete against men, it's about finding
drivers and raising awareness--helping a few women have at least some
chance of getting rides in the male-dominated big time series.  If
successful, I think the series also has the chance to increase interest
and participation among women in all levels of motorsports, including
autox.

And the "image awareness" component shouldn't be dismissed either. The
ability to attract and keep sponsors has been crucial for drivers with
potential aspirations for many years now, and I'm sure all the major
driver-training programs focus on this aspect. It'd be great if talent
were the only factor, but St. James and the others involved know that
drivers will need the whole package to have a realistic shot at
advancement.

It should be fun to watch, _especially_ if some of our fellow autox'ers
can make the cut.

Tom Maycock