Re: tire wear

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tire wear
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:57:01 EST
In a message dated 99-02-04 03:46:33 EST, crzydave@san.rr.com writes:

<<   I have a 97 Civic Ex with kuhmo v700s on some 14x6 rims..
  Being new to the sport I have quickly learned (although not quick enough)
 that going hot and deep into the turns is not good for my lap times nor my
 tires.
 I killed my kuhmos after about 60 runs. However,
 the tire wear is VERY uneven.
 the outer shoulder is corded and the inner shoulder has almost full tread.
 My question is.. is this wear more associated to a lack of camber or
 over-driving my car? any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated
 thanks. >>

I would tend to blame too little air in the tires, and diving too deep and hot
into the corners.  You should also check toe (0 front, 1/8-1/4" total toe in
rear) since camber isn't adjustible on a '97 Civic.  At least your SLA
suspension doesn't change camber as badly as a strut suspension.  Good,
adjustible shocks would also help.

As far as the driving is concerned...  Most corners are late apex corners in a
front wheel drive car.  First, look ahead.  I mean, LOOK AHEAD!!!  That way,
you'll know where you want to be several corners in advance.  You'll want to
slow down early, get most of your turning done early, and be unwinding the
wheel while squeezing on the gas as you go by the apex.  If this is all
foreign to you (or even if it's not) I'd suggest a good autocross school.

Charlie Davis