autox-cm

Re: Cold weather question

To: The Fortinis <lbracing@excite.com>, Autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cold weather question
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:34:37 -0500
At 07:45 AM 1/11/01 -0800, The Fortinis wrote:
>(Texas contingent need not respond... ;->)
>
>To those of you who currently have snow outside your window (or the
>potential for snow), I was wondering: How often (if at all) do you fire up
>your cars during the off-season?
>
>Is it better to just let it "sit" rather than risk damage by starting a cold
>engine in cold weather, or is it better to run it awhile now and then (like
>I did for our previous Stock-class autocross-only car)?
>
>Any advice/methodology would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bill Engle Jr's comments make sense about let it sit if you cannot run it
for a significant amount of time. My engine builder suggested using a
"Marine engine storage fogging spray" which will tend to protect the inside
of the engine during storage.

I don't do this since I need to move the car during the winter in order to
allow other cars in to that part of the garage for service. Of course,
usually my last event is early Nov and the next one is mid Feb. Therefore,
I make sure to run the car long enough to get everything up to temperature.
I will change the Mobil 1 oil just before the new season.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford

///