Re: [6pack] Crimping Bullet connectors

To: "Robert McBride" <rmcbride@mi.rr.com>, "shawn loseke"
Subject: Re: [6pack] Crimping Bullet connectors
From: "Robert N. Clark" <rclark@robertsonclark.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:25:21 -0800
A TR-6 certainly won't fall out of the air when its wiring goes bad.  I
think when considering solder that we think this will make a nice
permanent and complete contact between the wire and the connector, but
is it necessary?  I have pulled a bunch of the original Triumph
connectors apart and have never pulled an undamaged (i.e. one that
wasn't corroded) wire out of the male fitting.  Perhaps the key is
proper crimping with the right tool and not just using a pair of
lineman's pliers that most of us are guilty of using.

Below are some articles referenced on the Wedge list:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/terminal.pdf
http://www.virginiawind.com/tips/060801_01.asp
http://www.molex.com/tnotes/crimp.html
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/

Food for thought.

Bob Clark
'69 TR6

The biggest problem is that the solder will wick part way down the wire
making a hard point where it stops.. When the wire vibrates like when in
airplane it flexes at that point and will after time break right
there....
I crimped only when building my plane no soldering.. But I don't think
vibration will be that much of a problem in a TR-6....  Bob M

What I recall, from several volleys from both sides of the argument, is
that the conditions for soldering need to be right. Some of the
connectors available don't take solder very well, if your wires have any
oxidation (if they are older) they won't take solder well either. The
biggest mistake made with crimping connectors is not using the correct
tool, which makes all the difference. I've had plenty of success with
just crimping bullets, using the right tool of course. Haven't had to
solder yet, but if you feel you must, or would just like to for your own
piece of mind. Go for it.