Re: Oil filter canister

To: jmitch@snet.net (John Mitchell)
Subject: Re: Oil filter canister
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 22:37:58 -0700
John M.---To be sure nothing got fouled along the way, I'd suggest
taking the oil canister back off the engine, and examining the surface
that seats against the O-ring. Also check for roundness of the canister.
The usual problem here when there is a massive leak is that the canister
hangs up on a corner of the block recess. To ensure against this
cocking, add a circle of masking tape about 1/2 inch from the sealing
end of the canister. Now when you seat the canister you'll be able to
see if all areas have equally entered the block recess. Make small turns
of the canister as you tighten the bolt.

My little star thing goes up against the spring, which puts it on the
outside of the filter.

Dick

From:
jmitch@snet.net(John Mitchell)

      I'm having trouble getting the oil canister to
seal(river of oil under car) after I changed the oil. I've only got one
rubber ring but the canister doesn't seem to be pulling in tight enough
to crush it.
Does the little star thing on the bolt go inside the filter or just
press against one side. I really should know this stuff by now.   John
76 TR6