Re: Dizzy question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dizzy question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:25:10 -0800
Ron---What's needed here to get your distributor drive dog to drop down
(to where it's supposed to rest) is to turn the oil pump "key". You can
use a screwdriver or probe of some kind. When you get this in the right
position, it will mate with the bottom of the distributor drive keyway,
and drop the extra 1/16 inch you are looking for. This mating is
necessary to drive the oil pump.

As you know, it is necessary to remove the pedestal, to lift and turn
the drive gear. In the process of doing this, either the oil pump
drivedog moved from it's "clocked" position, or the distributor drive
gear did not fall back into the same teeth with the cam gear.

It's not a big deal, either way. If you're satisfied with the clock
location of the distributor itself, just turn the oil pump to match.
There should be no air space between the pedestal and the bottom of the
distributor housing.
Write back if I've muddied this up too much!

Dick Taylor

Ron wrote:
Listers
.....I removed and rebuilt the Distributor on my TR250, when replacing
it in the block I don't know if I got it in all the way. The
Distributor/rotor seems to be locked in the groove, but I have a small
gap (1/16th) between the block and plate on Distributor. Is this
correct?   I am sure the engine has not moved so what do I have to do
to make sure the timing will be close.
Thanks
Ron
Ron Landis PE