RE: Warped Door?

To: <Aledotr6@aol.com>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Warped Door?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:03:19 -0800
        Bud:

        It is possible to "twist" the door, in order to get it to fit.
This is much easier to do when the skin is being replaced on the door,
but you should still be able to do it.
        Roger Williams mentions this in his book as a step required in
may cases to get the door to fit properly. He doesn't say how to do it,
as I recall, only that you may need to do it. I suggest you open the
door, and simply push on the bottom rear edge, and pull on the top rear
edge. Use your hands to start with. Get a friend to help, if necessary.
Be gentle, and work your way upwards in force as needed. With some
patience, I bet you can do it without any tools.
        You may find it necessary to readjust the hinges and or striker
plate after giving it a twist.

        FYI, My car had similar sorts of issues. The front top gap on
the drivers door was much too large. When I tore down the car for
painting, I was going to fix this. It turned out to be childishly simple
- When the car had been assembled at the factory, a very large glob of
seam sealer putty landed on the rear mounting flange for the wing. When
the wing was attached, it would not seat against the mounting flange,
being about 3/16" too far forward at the top. Grinding off the chunk of
putty resolved the problem.
        Sigh. British quality. Sad to say, it is not too difficult to
see why British Leyland went out of business.

        Vance
Cogito Ergo Zoom
(I think, therefore I go fast)

TR6 Web page: http://home.comcast.net/~v.navarrette/