RE: lightened fly wheel

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: RE: lightened fly wheel
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:47:18 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Navarrette, Vance wrote:

>       Joe:
>
>       You can safely remove somewhere around 10 pounds from the
> flywheel (28 pounds stock, as I recall). In first gear, this is
> equivalent of removing 120lbs of deadweight from the car. In the taller
> gears, the benefit diminishes. The benefit is the same no matter what
> the tune of your motor. In Vizard's book "Tuning Standard Triumphs over
> 1300cc" there is a template for what needs to be removed. Here is a PDF
> of the book - it takes a while to open, but the link does work:
> http://www.141.com/triumphs/vizard.pdf

Be careful when looking at these cross sections of the flywheels. If
memory serves, the book has reference to mostly early TR6 stuff (and
TR3/4)... the late style flywheel is quite different in where the "meat"
is.

>       I had my neighbor use his lathe to slice off 10 lbs, out of
> simple neighborliness. I would think an automotive machine shop would do
> it for under $100.

I live in the wrong neighborhood!

>       Cheers,
>
>       Vance

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |

Check out the new British Cars Forum: