Differential Clunk

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Differential Clunk
From: ShewFamily@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 22:04:46 EDT
Listers:
I have been enjoying my TR6 now that I have it fully back together from the
wreck in 2002 and after taking this past winter to rebuild the hubs and
half-shafts.

I suspected that I might have a broken differential mounting stud over the
winter when I found the metal on the left rear differential mount broken and
somewhat separated from the rubber.  These had been replaced in the last two
years and I did a close inspection of the mount while I had the differential
unit
out.  I could find no break in any of the welds and everything appeared to be
solid.

I guess replacing the broken mount must have increased the force on the
mounting studs because today I started hearing the clunk.  It only happens when
start backing up a hill and when I move forward after doing this.  In normal
stop and go driving, I don't hear the clunking noise.

My questions are:

1) Can this repair wait until winter if I baby it?  Do I stand the chance
creating more severe or harder to repair damage?

2) Are the gussets available from TRF the best or has anyone bought them from
Moss or BV?  Are they all made by the same company, or are any distinguished
as being of a better design?

3) Obviously it would be better to install the gussets with the body off,
but I would rather not go in that direction. Can a satisfactory job be done by
removing the exhaust system and dropping the differential unit?

Any tips, suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
John Shewmake
'74 TR6
Chattanooga, TN