Re: Milling Tr6 Head

To: "Berzins Family" <berzins@eastlink.ca>
Subject: Re: Milling Tr6 Head
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:31:50 -0400
Aivars,

Biggest and easiest bang for the buck is probably fitting the SU's.  I've
never done it but everyone who does raves about the improvement once they
are sorted out.  You may also want to look into Goodparts triple carb setup
that is available for SU's and costs about $360 complete. Roller rockers
will help the engine breath better if a higher than stock ratio is used.
Then maybe a header and electronic ignition.

If the engine and head were properly rebuilt by the PO with low miles on it
I would not go any further.  I'm not sure how much an improvement milling
the head will provide, but do not go to 9.5:1 unless you plan to install a
hotter cam, which leads into valvetrain improvements and more dollars.
Going to 8.75:1 or so, yes.  But not into the higher compression.

The same is true for head porting.  It is expensive and really should be
done because of a hotter cam.  And port/chamber polishing is a waste of
money so avoid.  Once you start getting INTO the engine the real "fun"
begins (ka-ching $$ ka-ching $$ ka-ching).

Lastly, one of my pet areas, if you take the head off check all of the
lifter faces.  The faces should still be mirror smooth and shiney.  Several
listers, including myself, have lost camshafts because of soft lifters that
may still be kicking around in the market.  If the PO used the run of the
mill $6 lifter it might be a good idea to replace them with hardened
lifters, about $10-$12 each.  Fairly cheap insurance.

http://www.141.com/triumphs/vizard.pdf  extensive, and I mean extensive, TR
performance publication.  A must.
http://www.goodparts.com/tech_docs/TR6_Compression_Ratio.html  for
compression ratio info