Best paint color change strategy?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Best paint color change strategy?
From: "Kronberg, Peter" <peter.kronberg@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:03:22 -0500
Hey Listers,

I've got it in my head that my '76 looks pretty good w/ the original
Russet Brown enamel paint...but...it's not exactly my idea of an
INSPIRING color.
In my long-term plans for work on this car, (which is a sound daily
driver but cosmetically...er...tired) I'm giving real consideration to
changing her color to a cobalt-navy-royal type blue...with a coupla
clear coats to add some depth and durability to the sheen.
Now, I've heard it both ways- "the only way to repaint correctly is to
take the car down to metal" and "if you currently have a decent
paint-job, you can take advantage of it's good adhesion to the metal by
scuffing it and painting right over". I've been told that the former is
more than 5 times more expensive than the latter...and I'm (always) on a
budget.
This car is NOT being frame-off restored, and I never expect to show it
competitively. I just want it to look great in a boss new color.

If you have experience with changing the color scheme of your
car...please advise.

Pete
CF51563U