Redlining modern tires

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Redlining modern tires
From: "Sondergard, Michael L." <michael-sondergard@uiowa.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:30:38 -0500
Does anyone have any experience with purchasing modern tires with redlines
applied aftermarket? Diamond Back Classics has a process for removing the
raised writing from the sidewall of a new tire and then vulcanizing on the
red rubber for red lines. The bonding that takes place between the black and
red rubber is supposedly the same process that takes place in the mold
during the making of a new tire when different tires have to be bonded
together. In my case I am looking at a set of new Yokohama T4s (205/70/15)
with redline applied at a total cost of $645 for the set (the redline
process itself accounts for $300 of the price. I'd like to know if the extra
cost is worth it (do they look that much better?) and if the quality of the
finished product is first-rate). Thanks for any help that fellow Sixers can
provide.