stop lamp switch

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: stop lamp switch
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:35:32 EDT
OK, now what have I screwed up?  My brake lights stay on all the time (if the
ignition is on).  When I apply the brakes, there is no change in the light,
even with the parking lights on.  I completely rewired the front harness, and
everything else works fine.  I did not do anything to the switch.  Tell me
how this switch works.  Should the lights come on when the two pieces of the
switch make contact, or when they are separated?  Or, does the pedal moving
away from the switch somehow actuate the switch.  Right now, the lights are
on when the pieces are in contact. The only way to turn off the brake lights
(other than switching off the ignition) is to separate the two pieces of the
switch.  I can't get to the mounting for the switch to tell how the movement
of the pedal actuates the switch. Note:  I did un hook the pedal to repair
the master cylinder.  I hope I didn't misswire something, as I already  spent
a good hour installing one of those fancy aluminum three piece radiator
shrouds.
Joe Davis