RE: TRF magic clutch kit

To: "'Mark Hooper'" <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>,
Subject: RE: TRF magic clutch kit
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:27:31 -0800
        Mark:

        Interesting rant. I am not certain I agree with the overall
thrust of the diatribe, however.
        The fact that the basic concept has been around for so long
speaks to me of it's reliability and low cost, not it's lack thereof.
Wet pack clutches have not scaled well with engine output, as the
power losses increase pretty dramatically with increases in size.
        I am sure that there have been some bad designs over the years,
but the car magazines still prefer manual transmissions with
dry clutches in terms of flexibility and performance. The top dog these
days is the BMW 5 series with a manual single disc dry clutch, a 100
year old anachronism in a fuel injected state of the art automobile.
Just like the internal combustion engine, some things are still with
us because they work well, and are less expensive than the alternatives.
        As for ease of service, the trend appears to be pushing in the
direction of decreasing maintenance frequency and cost, even if it means
increased costs when service finally is required. This is what consumers
seem to want.
        If things were really as bad as you suggest, I believe that the
car manufacturers would have long ago abandoned the use of dry clutches.

        Just my opinion....

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6
Cogito Ergo Zoom