Re: Not him again... (preload)

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Not him again... (preload)
From: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:44:32 -0500
I think which ever method u use, first tighten wheel bearings very
snug with a socket or pliers (spinning the wheel until it barely
moves) to squeeze the grease and seat the components. Then back
off slightly and do the fine tuning. I work at just getting rid of
that hint of movement, and do a check for slop after 200 miles.
Some cars call  for a very small (2 thou?) end play which can be
set up with a dial indicator or the hint of movement trick. Others
ask for a small inch torque preload and then back off one flat.
Generally it's a touchy feely thing, from minute preload to
imperceptible free play, except for big Healeys that have a
strange shim set up. If your castle nut doesn't line up u have an
assembly screw up, or if it's real close the snug trick might get
it there.

Mike L
60A,67E,59Bug,74TR6