Re: Which overdrive A or J?

To: rdowty@dowtyenterprises.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Which overdrive A or J?
From: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 06:23:25 -0500
Ron,

I think you have some things backwards:)

Either of the o/d trannys are bolt in.  No frame mods have to be done.  The
early frames need to be modified to accept the j-type tranny as the frame
mount is about 2" fwd of the later frame.  The a-type allows o/d in 2nd,
3rd, & 4th & often it is said to be more robust, but it is getting harder to
find & less reliable(so i'm told).  The j-type allows o/d in 3rd & 4th &
more reliable(so i'm told).  The wiring is similar for both, however the
a-type required a relay.  Reverse is no good for an a-type!

I've managed to put a j-type in my TR250 with the help of a bracket from
Rimmer, but again you won't need that on the late frame.  Everything you'll
need you should already have with the existing tranny mount.  Don't throw
that stuff away!

Good luck,

Todd
CD3705L