Re: Differential

To: "Peter Macholdt" <vze2846b@verizon.net>,
Subject: Re: Differential
From: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 22:02:01 -0600
 Peter,

 I spoke with John
Espisito,Quantumechanicshttp://quantumechanics.com/categories.php?op=newindex
&catid=9) about this in depth. The axle stubs came out pretty easy on mine, I
was going to have the stubs pressed out, but I noticed that I had a pinion
tooth in the wrong place. Well it was not on the pinion.
  But anyway I checked another diff and was going to remove the pinion, but
became concerned about the collapsible spacer fitted in some diffs. Seems you
only get one chance to torque it down. Which means you need to set the
backlash (?) with a new spacer. John told me that the only way to tell is when
you've pulled the pinion flange, then it's too late, because it will need to
be set up professionally.
  If you have the shims, all you do is pull the flange, replace the seal and
re-torque it to the specified torque.
  A note on the seals, for the pinion, don't use the original leather type. It
will always seep. Get a rubber seal. If you do use the leather, it needs to be
soaked for a while before installing.
  Check the flange for pitting or a groove, if it has either, replace with
another. I've heard you can have a machine shop put a sleeve on it to correct
imperfections, but I never looked into it.
  I guess that Triumph switched to the collapsible spacer on the latter cars
since mine had shims and was from a '69 TR6. Not sure when the switch was made
and neither was John E.

  I hope this doesn't confusion and I'm sure others on the list may be more
knowledgeable.

Richard Seaton