RE: I also have clutch problems

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: I also have clutch problems
From: Bob Rothstein <rgrothstein@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 07:30:20 -0700 (PDT)
  Alan -
    Nelson has some great advice.  Here's another angle.  When I
experienced what I believe is your problem on my TR-250, I
pulled the transmission to find a leaky front main gearbox seal.
 The gearbox oil had oiled the clutch disc and the disc didn't
accept the pressure from the pressure plate until the engine was
spooled up.  I'd rev the engine and slowly let the clutch out,
but nothing would happen until about 3000 rpm, and then the
clutch would finally overcome the oiled clutch disc and grab.
    I initially tried to clean the clutch disc by scrubbing it
with acetone and drying it out on a few successive days.  I then
gave up and got a new clutch disc.  With a new front main seal,
the problem was solved.

     Bob Rothstein
     '68 TR-250
     Vienna, VA