RE: Stumble, miss & hesitate

To: william.mcintire@wright.edu
Subject: RE: Stumble, miss & hesitate
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:45:30 -0700 (PDT)
Bill---It's possible for the timing pulley and its internal composition
to disintegrate over time, and maybe cause a false reading, as you
suggested. I've just never seen one in this shape.

I can't explain why changing the initial timing would lessen the stumble
either. Typically a torn diaphragm just shows up as a sluggish engine,
as the air piston won't rise to let in air and fuel in that particular
carburetor. The engine should still run without stumbling.  (The engine
will run on the 'good' carb.)
No oil in the dashpot can let the piston rise too quickly, and cause a
temporary lean out. This can show up under load, but not usually when
just revving the engine.

It appears that Cris has a problem shared by several owners of late
model TR6's. It would be interesting to know if advancing the timing as
much as he did would solve the symptoms of the others. Maybe  we'll get
some feedback here?!

Dick Taylor
'73