2000-register

PI resto update

Subject: PI resto update
From: "Dave W" <dw_triumph@clear.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 17:47:04 +1200
I thought it was about time I gave you all an update on Rusty!- formally
known as TO7897 - formally known as EF2797 - formally known as a Mk1 PI!!

Since the last "update" post things have been going along rather slowly, I'm
doing the final coat of top colour in the engine bay now, and it's not
looking too bad, if I do say so my self :-).
I've still got the gearbox tunnel to clean and paint (Rusty doesn't have any
underseal, which I'm glad of) in POR15, but after that's done the body's
ready for the smoker and grinder to be put back in!

Speaking of the noise makers - after I got all the oil and dirt off the
engine, I pulled the timing cover off, replaced the chain (as requested!!!).
The tensioner was looking a bit on the worn side so I had a new one plus a
cover seal sent up from Vintage spares in Wanganui.

I gave the cover and the end plates a few coats of heat black, put the new
cover gasket in place, hammered in the new seal and fitted it all back on,
neat....
Wanting an engine colour that would stand out I used Ford red from
Plasti-coat and it really is bright!
I'll get the engine back in and then do the crankshaft endfloat (thanks for
all the emails by the way). Some standard and oversize washers came with the
car so I should have the right size already.

I've got the overdrive back on the gearbox, oil tight and hopefully
working!!

The cold air chamber in the bulkhead that the heater blower sucks from needs
some welding done on the cabin side in the usual places. I wonder if they
painted in there at all from new. There's light surface rust up the walls
and it's going to be quite hard to get it clean enough to paint (which I'd
like to do) or just pour a whole lot of a good anti-rust fluid in there
every year.

All the best
Dave W

///