2000-register

Re: My last missing cylinder

To: "Christopher Hinge" <chinge@postmaster.co.uk>
Subject: Re: My last missing cylinder
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 15:19:34 +0100
>> The bloke noticed tonight that I've got a periodic dribble from the back of
>my metering
>> unit
>
>Hope Canley Girl is now sorted after her trip to Gaydon. If not, a few
>thoughts on your
problem:
>Is fuel dribbling from the control unit body on the metering unit? Could be
>either a
damaged fuel diaphragm or more likely the diaphragm has been pushed off the cam
follower
by pressure build-up in the metering end.
>This has happened to me twice - eventually traced to a blockage in the fuel
>return pipe
to tank. Certainly causes rough running/misfiring. Try blowing an airline
through the pipe
at the metering unit end. Any restriction should be obvious. If the diaphragm
is suspected
the MU has to come off to access the four bolts holding the two halves together.
>Seems to me the plumbing is the only bit of your injection gear that  hasn't
>been
rebuilt!

Aye, the MU has to come off for a mosey. The dribble is coming off the very
back of the MU
and dripping occasional spots on to one of the bell housing bolts. Admit I
never put a
blast of wind down the LP return and that's one thing to do. Consensus opinion
at Gaydon
was that the unit is over-fuelling as a result of a maladjusted datum track.
It's
certainly running way rich. I've lost my Lucas training leaflet - does anyone
have one to
photocopy? Today should have been the day for investigation as the sun is
shining and no
threat of rain. But I'm weary and didn't fancy inverting myself for
investigative
purposes. In any case, there was an intriguing tennis match on telly between
the Williams
sisters at Wimbledon that claimed my prior attention. Got the teapot ready with
a full
mug, stretched out in my favourite armchair and then woke up to find it was
finished. What
a wasted day!

I will report on findings in the fullness of time.

Cheers
John