2000-register

RE: heads & cranks

To: "Terry & Cindy O'Beirne" <esp@hypermax.net.au>
Subject: RE: heads & cranks
From: Andrew Thompson <ajt@expmining.com.au>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 07:29:38 +0800
Terry , The early Mk1 crank with the 2 inch(?) bearings was definitely made
from tougher iron (more flexible???) I have read this somewhere... I think
they cheapened the material with the later 2000 because it was deemed less
prone to flex and the could get away with a more brittle iron.

Later in production I'm not sure what material they used but Spitfire Mk4
uses infinitely inferior iron compared to a early spit crank (Mk3 especially
which I believe uses the same material as the early six)

Chris Witor is the guru on these cranks and swears by the early six crank
but is not on the net

Any hints on building a big bore 2000 screamer as this is my next "project"
for a 1968 Mk1 I have just acquired.

I would also be very interested in those progressive rate rear springs.

Cheers Andy T