2000-register

Intro-Safety-Technical

To: tr2000 <2000-register@autox.team.net>
Subject: Intro-Safety-Technical
From: gravee.leafoe@cwcom.net
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 01:10:39 +0100
Intro:
Have two 1976 2500S automatic saloons, both BRG. One MOT'd to August
which is really a donor car for the other owned since 1984 and now
reaching final restoration. It has to be on the road for the daughters
wedding on National weekend. (It could also have been the Cup Final but
daughters being daughters). She's marrying Doug (Dusty)
Rhodes of racing Anglia fame, Goodwood, Silverstone and all that. Julian
Balme is best man and the Triumph must be ready to cock a snook at the
Galaxie and other Fords including the Anglia attending. The Triumph has
had to be restored by Professionals due to the job I have which takes me
abroad for long periods and there is often other work to be done when
home So she says!.
Safety:
My first intro to Triumphs was early eighties when on a company course
in South Wales and being bored one evening went out armed with the local
paper and came back with a 1974 beige 2500TC auto saloon. There was I
with two cars and one driver. Had the car for nearly a year when on a
day-out trip up the M61 hit a thunderstorm at the intersection with the
M6. Knowing what could happen in this area I reduced and eventually
stopped at the tailback. Unfortunately, the Peugeout (well i think I've
spelt it rite) behind decided to use the Triumph as a buffer stop. It
hit me at 60mph (according to evidence tendered in court) when I was
stopped. The Triumph was a write off hence the first of the S's courtesy
of the insurance money. The safety thing comes from this crash. Always
carry an inflated spare. Mine was compacted into the Diff and the diff
pushed forward a couple of inches (50mm in mickey mouse money). The car
was undriveable due to the compression of the body on the rear tyres but
after treatment with a very big hammer was moveable. The spare wheel
kept the Peugeout from rupturing the full fuel tank After the dust
settled, interior damage was a bent steering wheel which I was holding,
both front seat backs smashed backwards. Personal injury was confined to
Whiplash for wife and daughter getting married, so now you know why she
wants to go to church in Triumph. It's the car to get you to church if
not on time at least in one piece.
Technical:
Smally thing. Repro intermediate sills do not have lightening holes as
original. If applying Dinitrol, Waxoyl etc without opening access to the
outer sill it could remain unprotected. I drilled them using a 16mm hole
cutter but limited access can be gained from beneath the central pillar.

Due to owning two S's there is a collection of parts from the 2500TC
which are not common if anybody needs.(what the Peogeout [sod it] didn't
break I did. Contact me before the wedding (17th July), collection after
which coincides with the journey back from the National and being
minutes from the M6 J23 should be easy. You will also receive directions
to rejoin the M6 at J22 which is also minutes away. If travelling Friday
that should be OK and you'll probably get a brew.

New to E-mail, internet and still fingers and thumbs but hello anyway.
If somebody answers this I'm winning.

Graham Nelson

ps thanks Mike this might happen this time, copying info.