2000-register

Re: handling issues

To: Asgeir Nesoen <asgeir.nesoen@inl.uio.no>
Subject: Re: handling issues
From: "Terry & Cindy O'Beirne" <esp@hypermax.net.au>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 23:24:05 +1000
I am fascinated that my original posting mentioning I had a 2.5 racer
initiated some discussion on extreme handling conditions of big
Triumphs.

Our car (180BHP rear wheels + race rubber) only suffers from understeer
in extreme race conditions . We are currently considering radical front
end changes to get more "turn-in". Would happily hear from others who
have changed steering tie rod lengths and angles.

Early corner exit and sweeping high speed corner understeer was traced
to weak tyre sidewalls allowing too much flex. Proper racing tyres fixed
this completely and simply.

Other residual understeer problems occur mainly mid corner and were
partly solved by experimenting with roll bar (front only) and
spring/damper changes. We have gone back to a 2500S front bar and no
rear bar.

We had a special set of Bilsteins made for the front and this made a
huge difference over the Konis because both bounce and rebound are
variable. We have also just fitted variable rate (tapered wire)rear
springs which make the car more predictable and have the added benefit
of being long enough to prevent the springs falling out under rebound.
We can get our local spring maker to do more of these if required by
anyone

Terry O'Beirne