vtr

Re: Don't Neglect Your Fuel Filter!

To: Chip19474@aol.com, vtr@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Don't Neglect Your Fuel Filter!
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:47:35 EDT
Sender: owner-vtr@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 9/26/2007 5:46:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Chip19474@aol.com writes:

The  normally orange/yellow filter
medium was just covered with a fine  brown slurry which I can only guess was
"residue stuff" that I  hadn't properly flushed out in 2002.

==AM==
Funny you should mention this "slurry," Chip! I've been dealing with a
similar compound for over a year now in my '62 Herald 1200. Late  spring of
2006,
after the car had sat unused for about eight months  following a clutch
problem, I fixed that and put the car back on the road. But I  soon had
tremendous
fuel delivery problems that I thought I'd traced to scaly  rust particles in
the
fuel tank. Since I had an extra one that appeared better,  I flushed the h**k
out of it and installed it, along with a new fuel filter. I  also cleaned out
the fuel pump and carburetor.

Except for the tank, I've gone through the rest of that procedure at least
two more times, Each time, there was an amazing amount of that fine brown
slurry  in the fuel pump and carburetor. It's so fine that I wonder if it's
really
rust  at all, or perhaps something in the gas that settles out over time?

Frustrating, to say the least. I don't have another fuel pump to try, but I
am going to clean out and install an extra good carburetor in hopes that it
will  solve the running problems I'm still having. (Yes, I've also been through
the  ignition system and am pretty sure all is well there.)

--Andy   Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not  so  much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and  Triumph Herald
Database: _http://triumph-herald.us_ (http://triumph-herald.us/)