vtr

Re: Ownership tracing

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov, daleo@choicetech.net
Subject: Re: Ownership tracing
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:59:02 EDT
Cc: vtr@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-vtr@autox.team.net
In a message dated 99-09-30 15:12:12 EDT, amace@unix2.nysed.gov writes:

<< I am copying our membership e-mail list in case others have any
 suggestions. I have found that state departments of motor vehicles often
 do NOT keep old records. So, unless the previous owners know from whom
 they bought the car -- or that dealer still exists and has such records of
 first sale and will share them, you probably are pretty much out of luck.

 Anyone out there have any other ideas? >>

Andy,

Pennsylvania DOT will match any VIN, Year, Make & Model with current
registrations providing that the request is notarized as not intending to be
used for other than hobby or antique tracking.  If there's a match they'll
give you the name & address of the owner.  Last year I tried to locate my
1969 TR6 that I purchased new in Feb 1969 by first calling the dealer (who is
still in business but is selling Volvos and Saabs!) to locate a copy of my
sales invoice for the commission number.  It was a long shot that didn't work
out but that's when I learned what PA does.

That's about all I can add on the issue....having the VIN/commission number
is a big help, though.

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (Being Reborn For Y2K)
'70 Spitfire Mk3  FDU78512L