vtr

Re: Ownership tracing

To: Dale Olson <daleo@choicetech.net>
Subject: Re: Ownership tracing
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 15:08:05 -0400 ()
Cc: Vintage Triumph Register general list <vtr@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-vtr@autox.team.net
On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Dale Olson wrote:

> Dear VTR,
>
>    My name is Dale Olson, VTR Member # 12663, and I am curious if it is
> possible to trace the ownership of one of a car from the first dealer
> down to the present?
>
>    I have sent to the BMHIT for the build records of my car, and can
> trace it to European Motors Inc., the original dealer, in Detroit
> Michigan from the information on the Trace Certificate # 99/2044 but
> there the trail ends.  I can pick it up for about the past 10 years with
> the previous 2 owners.  The first who had the car refurbished, and the
> second who we bought it from.  That leaves about a 30 year void in the
> trace.
>
>    I would like to contact those involved in the life and times of our
> TR.  It is registered as a 1961 model, however was produced in December
> of 1959, and shipped stateside on December 22nd, 1959. The commission
> number is TS 63945 L Any assistance or direction would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
>                               Yours Truly,
>

>                                       Dale & Jan Olson
>                                       629 13th Avenue
>                                       Brookings, SD
>                                                       57006
>                               daleo@choicetech.net

I am copying our membership e-mail list in case others have any
suggestions. I have found that state departments of motor vehicles often
do NOT keep old records. So, unless the previous owners know from whom
they bought the car -- or that dealer still exists and has such records of
first sale and will share them, you probably are pretty much out of luck.

Anyone out there have any other ideas?

--Andy