vtr

Re: VTR Scores

To: "fred thomas" <vafred@erols.com>, "Richard Ceraldi-ERC004" <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Subject: Re: VTR Scores
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 19:30:46 -0500
Cc: <vtr@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Richard, Fred, Andy & Co.;

Even though I fully understand the desire to know how our cars score in a
VTR event, whether to learn from the scoresheet or just to scoff at the
judging, I think we should keep the score sheets away from the contestants.
 We can ask all the "that's the way it came from the factory stuff" early
on during the event, and point out our cases with the judges when they are
working.  As you know, anyone who really has studied their chosen variety
of Triumph usually knows more about that model than the judges we get at a
VTR Regional and most times at the National level. We learn more from the
other "original" cars than the judging process.   VTR also provides a
contact in the magazine to quiz about each model.  They have met those
needs. The point is, we don't need to have scoresheets to improve the car
to a concours winner.

Judging is a hassle, and we need and use volunteers.  Getting raked over
the coals for trying to be fair, most of the time working as a non-expert
without all the required information, is not what they sign up for.  I know
very few of us would do that type of "raking" in person, but we all have
seen this happen at some level, and we want to jump all over them when they
get it wrong. We
scoff at the mistakes that occur in judging, because we feel our cars are
perfect. They are an extention of us.  Having "head judged" a regional
twice, I can tell you that each and every set of judges, and individual
judges evaluate at different critical levels. The extremes are amazing.
What one judge sees as showroom new another marks off as tatty.  Until the
VTR can standardize judging (judging manuals) and train and certify for all
the different classes, a score on a judging form means nothing. It's a
means for picking a winner in a concours, based on a critical evaluation
done fairly across the board per class (each car in the class judged to the
same standard, just as harsh or easily).  Best of Show candidates are
rejudged from the class winners by a select group of judges.

Having said all that, I think a two part "carbonless" form might work, with
the second page blacked out where the points get marked out, including the
total score.

One last thing, I don't know if it is enforced or not, but I think all the
judges are supposed to go through a class at the Nationals. Of all the
judges that I have seen that seem too critical or too lenient, none have
been through this class. Even though it's not the best situation, as long
as they are judging fairly across the board, it doesn't screw with the
results.

Just one mans opinion.

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net

----------
> From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
> To: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
> Cc: vtr@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: VTR Scores
> Date: Monday, August 18, 1997 7:14 PM
>
> Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 wrote:
> >
> > Andy and Co.,
> >   Below you will see the finger pointing back to the VTR for the scores
for
> > the Nationals. What are the chances of getting these back out to the
members
> > wanting them? Have they been burned and the ashes spread in the English
> > Channel for fear of ears getting bitten off? If funds are a problem VTR
can
> > always capitalize on the situation and sell them at a large profit;-).
All