vtr

Re: TR 7 1977 -Reply

To: Tatada@aol.com, billsohl@planet.net
Subject: Re: TR 7 1977 -Reply
From: Kenneth Brown <kbrown@trmx3.dot.ca.gov>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 07:32:58 -0800
Cc: vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Since a large part of a restoration project cost the same for any car, a good
rule if your looking at solely recouping the cost of the restoration is to
start with a vehicle that has a high resale value.

For example, I restored a 1970 BMW 2800Cs a few years back. The cost of the
original car was about $2K less than the more desirable later 3.0Cs. After
investing $8K in the restoration the 2800Cs was worth about $14k. A comparably
done 3.0Cs would have cost the same to restore but be worth about $20K. So
while I saved $2K in the initial purchase I would of had a vehicle worth $6K
more if I had started with the 3.0Cs.

As such,  the cost of a restoration of a convertible probably won't cost
anymore than the cost of restoring coupe you would probably be better off
restoring a convertible (putting  flame retardant suit on) or some other TR.

Of course if you are particular to TR 7s (I don't think they get the respect
they deserve), coupes in particular,  and looking at keeping the car instead of
just looking at the investment end, then all logic gets thrown out the door. I
for one think that most people who restore British cars do so for the love of
the marque and are not looking at the bottom line in terms of an investment!

Ken
TR 250 owner since 1980
undergoing restoration currently

>>> Linda and Bill Sohl <billsohl@planet.net> 08/05/97 04:08pm >>>
>I am interested in estimated pricing for TR 7's.  Specifically, the 1977, TR
>7.  I would like to know if  it would be financially sound to reinvest
>renovating this vehicle.

The 77 you have must be a coupe and, if totally restored, might be worth
around $5000.  If the restoration is to retain it as a driver/occasional
show car then the value may be in the $3000 range.