Re: [Vintage-race] 2 way radios

To: "'Vintage Race Net'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Vintage-race] 2 way radios
From: "Nick England" <nick@3rdtech.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 15:20:49 -0400
Well, just out of curiosity, I found this on F1Technical.net
"Car-to-pit radios were first used in 1984, but were initially dogged by
interference and cross-talk. At one British Grand Prix, for example, Ayrton
Senna was mystified by strange messages in his earpiece. They were
eventually traced to a catering firm working on the infield."

Another source says Penske introduced them in CART in 1982.

Hmmm, I wonder if any 50's-60's racers ever carried vacuum tube ham radio or
commerical 2-way gear. Probably not worth the weight - however, by the late
60's lightweight transistorized gear was readily available.

My own race communications experience is limited to standing trackside and
pointing at my underarm.

cheers,
Nick
1965 Beach Mk4B