Re: Tire Recommendations: Thanks

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire Recommendations: Thanks
From: "David R. Mapes" <dmapes@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:58:32 -0400
Hi Phil,

You didn't metion a bias ply rule so I suggested a
tire I KNOW is sticky, tough enough for real
street driving, and DOT approved (Kuhmos also fit
this condition but don't last nearly as long).  As far
as sticky real DOT bias ply tires go (and I can't
speak from experience here having only ever driven
on one type of bias ply tire (i.e., 23.5X10.5
Goodyear slicks)), Micky Thompson still manufactures
their Indy Profile bias ply in G 60 15 with a sticky
compound.  This tire will mount on a 6" wide rim, is
26.4" tall, and puts 8" of tread on the ground. I
have NO idea how  well these will work or if the
compound will hold up on track, but there it is in
the Summit catalog for $121.95 a copy.  I'm
considering the N 50 15 version of this tire, with
some custom siping, as a street/rain tire for
Ol'Beastly when it transitions to fender flairs and
25"X12" Hoosiers (15"x10" wheels being dirt cheap
compared to 16"x12").

At 12:24 PM 9/23/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Thanks for all the recommendations....I am clinging to hope that I can
>drive my 62' to and from the tracks and I do dearly love those early
>morning canyon runs... it just wasn't made for a trailer...but I recognize
>that track use will necessitate a severe tire compromise or shipping a set
>of tires and wheels to and from the track!  The Vintage Racing rules,
>regulations, standards, protocols, strictures, mandates and "NO-NOs" are
>more numerous than "fleas on junk yard dog"!   I.E.  "no radials" because
>they were not used in 62'...of course I don't believe that there were
>alternators on 62' Corvettes either..  But if you play on their turf, you
>play by their rules....it seems just to be an issue of ferreting out the
>"allowed" but unadvertised "enhancements" or being a big enough historical
>persona to go unchallenged...hey, it is what it is....
>
>Speaking to the issue of radials vs bias ply tires on my 62'...bias ply
>tires are fine in the turns (when loaded) but in long straight lines they
>are a pain in the ---- cuz' they do wander...and my stone age steering
>requires my full attention without the bias weave....yea, I love the flavor
>of the "good old days" too, but a good set of radials certainly elevates
>the quality of the handling for my car...I have more control and for me
>that is safer....not a quest for speed, but control.
>
>Not trying to start an e-mail fire storm...just my thoughts.
>
>Thanks again for the input on tires.
>
>Phil:::
>

>Phillip Buttolph
>Diving Safety Officer
>Humboldt State University Arcata, CA 95521
>(707) 826-4104
>

>62' Sateen Silver Corvette
>"That isn't Duct or Duck Tape; it is Sateen Silver Racing Tape!"

All the Best!  Dave  ;^)
'66 Formula S Barracuda, CP/Vinatage (GoldFish)
'66 C code Mustang Coup, CP (Ol'Beastly)
'91 Sundance, HS (150,000 miles and counting)
'97 Cherokee
Lame Horse Racing
College Park, MD
http://www.erols.com/dmapes/