VIR gold cup historics!

To: "vintage-race" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: VIR gold cup historics!
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 09:27:41 -0400
whew!  where to start?  so many beautifull sports racing specials, a zillion
MG's, and a few other cars here and there to make a truly wonderfull mix of
incredible cars.   friday's weather was a kind tease of what was not to come
for the rest of the event.  (i got a slight sun burn friday)  friday night's
rain into saturday proved relentless!  i swore i would not drive a fresh car
that i had far too little seat time in if it was going to be wet on course.
(i lied to myself...again!  LOL )   running hot when it was dry and
wonderfully cool in the wet  helped to deduce that my car just did not have
enough radiator wich culminated in a severe over heating during the american
specials race on sunday.    so i got towed in after my sitting off course
spectating not far from oak tree.   i was asked later if i was mad or upset
about my not finishing that race and going home on the trailer without
running my group race.  mad? upset? heck no!  it was a gamble from the
outset.   unknown tire pressure settings, handling problems from previous
tests, and just uncertain about how the car would be to handle in traffic
and rear visibility on course.    i learned more in a few track sessions
this last weekend than i have been able to deduce in bench racing about this
car for years!  in 1 short weekend i now know tire pressures, how to drift
the car through corners, and that it is rather fast in corners!   i will
resolve the cooling system problem as time permits to do it properly.   and
once again i will be testing the car and it's limits !    i had a great
time!
VIR be it in the dry (preferable) or wet is still a wonderfull venue!  a
good time,good people and great cars!   my compliments to all involved!
chuck
H-mod "brand X" #251(yeah, it's saab powered.... :)   )