RE: Trailer Questions

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Trailer Questions
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:21:46 -0400
No one has pointed this out yet, so I guess I will...

At 05:53 AM 9/25/2002 -0700, Derek wrote:

>2 - NEVER let an automatic trans shift under power while towing - up or
>down. For this reason I never use O/D while towing - except down
>mountains. Allowing power shifts will almost insure you get tranny
>problems - friction bands and clutches burn out. Just lift the
>accelerator as you shift manually. (Exception: accelerating away from
>stanstill - then I put tranny in "2" - use 3/4 to full throttle in 1st
>then lift at the right speed to get it to shift to 2nd.)

If you were to follow Derek's advice on starting up from a dead stop in a
Ford, you are sure to cook your transmission real fast. In every Ford
product I have ever driven if you put the tranny in "2", you are in "2".
Even from a dead stop. The torque converter would be dead meat trying to
get a load rolling from a stop.

>3 - use the gears - keep the engine spinning in the upper part of the
>torque curve - otherwise you will slide back down to a crawl on grades.
>Obviously diesels are better here (for towing) but I can't stand the
>idea of using one for my daily driver. I use a 318 (5.2L) Dodge - OK
>for 65 in "2" while accelerating and at keeps going up most Interstate
>grades at 65-70 in "3". If you let it slow down in "3" it rapidly
>slides down the torque curve the wrong way.

Derek and I have pretty much agreed to disagree on this one in the past.
Last time I checked, trannys were WAY cheaper than blown engines!

Henry Frye

PS. I run an F350 Powerstroke Diesel tow vehicle carrying a Lance truck
camper towing an 18 enclosed trailer with the TR4 racer and sundries. Once
you tow with an oil burner, you will never go back! I am rolling about
16,000 lbs and have to take it out of cruise only on the steepest of
grades. I thought I would hate a diesel as a driver as well. I was wrong.
Very wrong. I run the truck all winter and when the weather is too foul to
drive my street Triumph the rest of the year. Very content with it.