Re: driver cooling

To: wheeltowheel@wheeltowheel.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: driver cooling
From: Marc Sayer <marc@gracieland.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 13:31:34 -0700
from the W2W list
Paul Foster wrote:
>>Gee Dub arrives late to the party:
>

> We all did - at least those of us who don't belong to that vintage list...
>
> You may find this URL to be of interest:
> http://www.heatrelief.com/tpptest.htm
>
> It may the next Splitfire or Duralube or it may not...
>
> Paul Foster

We have been having two threads that have overlapped quite a bit on the
two lists. Here the thread was suit material. On the vintage list
thread, driver cooling, we not only discussed materials, we also got
very much into the discussion of wetting your underwear (with water,
guys) and whether that would increase or decrease your protection
against fire. There were good arguments made for both POVs though I
think most felt it would reduce your protection. I had copied the info
from Baker's website <http://www.bakerprecision.com/suitinfo.htm>
regarding their underwear and the fact that they recommended wetting it
down. I copied this list on the issue because the two threads had been
overlapping so much I thought the folks here might also find it
interesting. I also wanted to copy the info about the NASA suits to this
list in light of the thread we had going on suit material.

I do not know whether the FIREWEAR underwear Baker sells is any better
than others, or if it really would be better wetted (in terms of fire
protection, I know it helps in cooling) or not. I was just crossposting
to hopefully bring the two threads together and maybe get some new info,
such as this that Paul just shared.

--
Marc Sayer
Journalist, Photographer, Dog Trainer (APDT member #062956)

Passions -
Great Danes, auto racing and fast cars, my wife

Dogs -
Gracie, Tank, Delilah, PJ, & the rescue dogs

Cars -
82 280ZX Turbo, 83 Volvo 245, 93 Ford E150 Tow/dog van
71 510 Trans Am vintage racer, Zink based Formula V

My Homepage - http://gracieland.org

Deaf Dane Rescue Homepge - http://gracieland.org/DaneRescue/

Any Dane at the races is a Great Dane!